Saturday, December 18, 2010

Jasmin's Pay it Forward

Group members: Anna Gomez, Angelique Marcial, Jasmin Lacap

Part one-
The movie "Pay it Forward" is about a young boy named Trevor. He had a troubled family, his mother named Arlene, was alcoholic and his father has left him. On the first day of school, Trevor's Social Studies teacher, Mr. Simonet gave them an assignment to think of a simple way to save the world. Trevor decides to "Pay it Forward" or show an act of kindness to other people. He pays it forward to three other people. First he helps a homeless man/junkie. Second, he tries to get Mr.Simonet and his mom together. Third, he helps a boy that gets bullied.

Part two-
For my act of kindness, my group and I decided to shovel other peoples sidewalks. We chose to do this activity because it was fun, and we thought it would be a great idea since it has been snowing for the past three days! It was also great exercise! We helped shovel the sidewalk of three families around the neighborhood. They were all very kind! We knocked on doors around the neighborhood and asked if we could shovel their sidewalk, then we gave them a candy cane and a holiday card, finally.. we started to shovel. We did our act of kindness on Saturday, December 18, 2010.


Part three-
"Pay it Forward"


I think our act of kindness went really well! A lot of things happened. We went to one of the houses in the neighborhood, the lady living there was extremely nice! She told us that her car was stolen a few days ago, and that she was really upset about it.. but once she found out that we were paying it forward and the fact that we were going to shovel her sidewalk made her very proud! She said, "Thank you girls, you cheered me up! Happy Holidays!" I felt very happy knowing that we were helping other people. It felt amazing to see that big smile on their faces. I am proud of myself and my group/friends.. Angelique and Anna, because we stayed out in the cold for a few hours, but at the end.. it was all worth it! The reaction of the people was something like "Thank you! Happy Holidays!" but others said "Let me see if I have some change" because they thought they had to pay us for shoveling. We asked the people to "Pay it Forward." One lady said "I will definitely pay it forward, Thanks!"

Part four-
The idea of "Pay it Forward" is important because it's sometimes nice to think of other people and help other people instead of always putting yourself first. One simple act of kindness can really help a person out, it can also put a huge smile on their face. I think my act of kindness has made a difference.

Happy Holidays! Remember to Pay it Forward!


No comments:

Post a Comment